Malta enjoys a stable political climate and a bi-partisan political scene that is largely convergent on issues of national and economic importance. The country is considered to be one of the best performing Eurozone economies, with a steady economic growth and low unemployment rate.
Malta Trading Companies provide entrepreneurs with the ideal platform for the establishment of international trading activities. A Malta Trading Company may be utilised for numerous trading activities such as information technology & telecommunications, e-commerce, market research, i-gaming, financial services and fintech, pharma, logistics, shipping and aviation, as well as traditional and renewable energy.
As the name suggests, a Holding Company is used to organise the ownership of any lawful asset, whether it is commercial or personal in nature.
Benefits of a Malta Company include very attractive tax rates, quick incorporation and the possibility to set up company and bank accounts without visiting Malta. At Interserv we help you to set up the company and look after its ongoing obligations so that you can focus on your business and your clients.
Malta Company Overview
Some quick information about Malta Company Formation:
- A Malta Company may be incorporated in as little as 48 hours
- Incorpation may be done remotely – no need to visit Malta
- The Companies Act 1995 governs companies in Malta
- A Malta company requires at least one director and one company secretary
- Malta offers two company types: the Private Limited Liability Company and the Public Limited Liability Company
- Company name may be reserved for 3 months
- Malta Companies are registered with the Malta Business Registry
- Foreign exchange controls do not apply to Malta Companies
- An attractive tax regime applies to Malta Companies
Located south of Italy between Europe and North Africa, Malta achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1964. Malta joined the European Union and Schengen zone in 2004, adopting the Euro in 2008.
Malta’s strategic position fostered its development as an international trading post, and the country remains a leading hub for container and freight movements. In recent decades other industries have flourished in Malta, including Financial Services and Fintech, Pharma, Life Sciences and BioTech, education and training, remote Gaming, incentive travel and real estate development.
Offering a cosmopolitan way of life, Malta is popular as a holiday destination.
|Government||Democracy with two main parties, centre right and centre left that agree on aspects related to foreign investment.|
|Independence||Malta is an independent Republic and a full EU Member State|
|Time Zone||CET, GMT+1|
|GDP/Capita||$33,123 (2019, UN)|
Malta Companies Act, which is the principal piece of Malta Trading Companies are incorporated in terms of the Maltese Companies Act, which is the principal piece of corporate law in Malta. The Act is predominantly based on common law principles, and is also in line with EU Directives. Malta Trading Companies are onshore entities setup as partnerships or limited liability companies – the latter being the most popular corporate entities, due to their flexibility and tax efficiency.
Benefits of a Malta Company
- Effective tax rates as low as 5% for trading operations
- Qualifying holdings of a Malta Company are tax exempt
- There are no withholding taxes or stamp duties on distribution of profits from a Malta company to non-resident shareholders
- Malta is an EU Country, companies in Malta enjoy all the benefits and protections of EU legislation.
- Malta companies may hold accounts in banks outside Malta
- A Malta company is ideal to conduct international business
- English is an official language in Malta
Process for Malta Company Formation
The procedure to incorporate a company in Malta is simple:
Once your Malta Company is set up, we may assist you with all the other services you may require for your Company in Malta:
- Local Director & Malta Company Management
- Back Office Services
- Bank Account Opening
- E-Commerce Solutions
- Fiduciary Services
- Office & Real Estate
- Relocation of Key Personnel & Residency
Overview of Tax relating to a Malta Company
Malta is attractive to the foreign investor with some key factors including:
- Anti abuse provisions must be met – these provide certainty
- Worldwide income is taxable, subject to relief
- No tax is applied on Capital remitted to Malta
- Attractive tax regime for qualifying trading operations and holding structures
- Participation Exemption for holding assets
- Notional Interest Deduction
- 70+ Double Tax Treaties in force
Operating or Trading Companies owned by non-resident beneficial owners may benefit from an effective tax rate as low as 5% with the right guidance.
Holding companies may be set up so as to be tax neutral in most circumstances, with the possibility to do the following free of tax:
- Receive dividends from subsidiaries
- Receive Capital Gains from the sale of subsidiaries
- Payment of Dividends upwards to the shareholder
We specialise in providing tax advice to clients of every size at any stage of their business cycle, be it pre-setup, specific to a transaction, or in relation to selling part or all of their business structure.
Why work with INTERSERV
Why work with us at INTERSERV for your Malta Company Formation?
Your choice of corporate provider in Malta is important. You need a team that take the time to know you and your business, that know what they are doing and are pragmatic problem solvers.
We have been in business since 2004 and as entrepreneurs ourselves we consider ourselves as business partners with our clients, able to provide the right advice at the right time.
Some of our clients have been kind enough to provide testimonials: